A joint is the classic – and most common – way to consume cannabis and a great way to enjoy the flavour of your flower. Learning how to roll a joint is an essential skill every cannabis smoker should have.
Many tricks and techniques exist for rolling the perfect joint; the goal is to ensure that your creation burns smoothly and evenly.
Things you will need:
- Rolling Tray: this may be an option, but it provides a clean surface to catch any falling cannabis during the rolling process.
- Grinder: making the perfect roll begins with how finely grounded your flowers are. Grinders help ensure that your weed is efficiently and uniformly grounded.
- Cannabis Flower: there are multiple cannabis strains available to choose from. Pick a strain that is best suited for the time of day or occasion. For example, sativas provide uplifting effects suitable for daytime activities or social gatherings, while indicas provide sedating effects and are best consumed at night.
- Rolling Papers: don’t use anything other than original joint papers to roll up. Choose between standard or king-sized papers (ideal for rolling larger joints).
- Filter (optional): also known as a “crutch,’ gives you a better grip of your joint so you can enjoy every bit of your cannabis without burning your fingertips. It also keeps the shake from falling out of the end and into your mouth while smoking and prevents saliva from moistening the cannabis.
Steps for Rolling Your Joint:
Step 1. Grind your cannabis
Use the grinder to grind your cannabis into the shake. Grind uniformly to a medium coarseness – ideally the size of a grain of rice but not into a powder. Ensure that the rolling tray is placed underneath as you grind. If you don’t have a grinder, you may use a pair of scissors or your hands, but ensure that you wash your hands to remove all residue before proceeding to the next step.
Step 2. Make a crutch/filter (Optional)
To make a filter, tear or cut any thick piece of paper (e.g., cardboard, business card, or magazine cover) to roughly ¾” by 2 ½”. Make a few accordion folds on one end of the filter paper, then roll the rest of the paper around the folds into the shape of a small tube.
Step 3. Fill the rolling paper with fine-ground cannabis
Please take out a sheet of rolling paper from the pack and hold it loosely between your middle finger and thumb, with the glue strip facing you. Put the filter at one end of the paper and hold it in place with your index finger. Fill the paper with the fine-ground cannabis (a half gram to a gram should do), and shape the joint with your fingers.
Step 4. Tuck and roll the joint
Next, pinch the paper between your fingertips and slowly roll it back and forth until the cannabis lightly packs down. Then bring the unglued side of your rolling paper up and over the packed cannabis and tuck it in so that it wraps around the core of the joint. Continue rolling in an upward motion using your thumb until the final cone shape of the joint is achieved and only the glue strip remains exposed.
Step 5. Seal
Lick the glued edge of the paper, then roll down the end where the filter is placed. This makes it easier and guides the paper as it rolls around itself. Then slowly work your way up the rest of the joint, tucking and rolling the joint until it is completely wrapped. You can use a pen to pack the cannabis down or twist the top of the joint and slightly flick back and forth until it packs down.
The final step is to spark it up and enjoy!